I just completed a tutorial series for Gamedevtuts+ on basic Object Oriented Programming (OOP) principles and their uses in game and app development. You can find the entire series here, or you can find each individual article below. I hope you enjoy the series, please let me know what you think.
Using three games as examples (Asteroids, Tetris, and Pac-Man), the series focuses on how principles of OOP can be used to help create more maintainable and organized code. Each article focuses on one principle, discussing what it is, why it is helpful, and how to apply it to each game. If you’re new to Object Oriented Programming or to game development, these articles are for you.
- Intro to Object-Oriented Programming for Game Development
- The OOP Principle of Cohesion
- The OOP Principle of Coupling
- The OOP Principle of Encapsulation
- The OOP Principle of Abstraction
- The OOP Principle of Inheritance